Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Up to my Neck in It

So here I am again, despite my desire to avoid any sort of accountability for the month of March. The Nanoedmo site was down for several days and I wasn't so good at tracking my time without their handy logger. But I estimate I finished the month with about 21 hours of editing, which is nowhere near 50 hours of editing. My other confession is that I missed three days of writing altogether. School has had me inordinately stressed the last few weeks. One day, I decided to escape into a book and I did not resurface until I finished that sucker! It was one a.m. and I hadn't written. Doh! A few days later, I started a puzzle with my son, who walked away after about half an hour. I didn't walk away. I finished that sucker! It was one a.m. and I hadn't written. Doh! Doh! Then last night, I was working on a cross stitch, which I haven't touched in about six months, and was trying to finish a particularly detailed section, but I finished that sucker! It was one a.m. and I had not written. doh.

Lately I've been wondering if I can actually do school and take care of my family and my house and serve the members of my church and write and and and AND

And breathe. and breathe. and 1&2&3&4&5&6&7&8&9&10&11&12&13&14&15&16&17&18&19&20
and breathe...

*cough, cough* Sorry. I flat-lined there for a minute, but I'm back now and dealing with it all. There's not a lot of things I can cut out of my life right now and I don't want writing to be one of them. So I'm going to forgive myself for not having a perfect record this year and just pick up with April 1st.

It's a new quarter and I'm starting it off with another one of Tristi's challenges. In an effort to keep things simple and fairly attainable, I have three modest goals for April.
1. write in the morning instead of the evening. If I can get my sorry tail out of bed at a decent time, I can get at least half an hour in before the kids open their eyes.
2. finish the editing for chapters three, four and five of Armathad. Really, I'm trying to figure out a way to combine three and four, since neither one is really pulling its weight on its own, but each has some valuable information AND they're connected anyway.
3. get my research paper written. It's due at the end of this month and I don't know how I'm going to carve out the time for it. But I will figure it out and not flat-line this time.


That's doable, right? What are your goals for April and how will you manage them with your busy schedule?

No comments:

Post a Comment