Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 9 and Still Strong

Today is January 9. The 9th day of the new year, the 9th day of January, the 9th day of the writing challenge. I have worked on Armathad every single day so far. Some days I didn't get much done, but I've done something every day. For me, that's great progress. Today's post is partly a follow up on how I'm doing in the challenge, and partly a note on some small observations I've made.

First, I should mention that Beyond the Veil of Armathad or The Veil of Armathad or just Armathad is the story I'm most excited about. It's kind of a big deal to me. It's a massive project and I have a lot invested in it emotionally. That said, I haven't touched it in a very long time. And that is actually turning out to be good for the book. As I'm plotting out the story I have thus far, I'm seeing areas that need work which I just never noticed before. I'm seeing chapters that can be combined, altered or omitted.

This last semester, I've had to do a lot of reading (yea!), and a lot of note taking. This has been fabulous for the plotting exercises I've been doing. When I originally plotted out this story, my notes were very general and vague. I wanted to just give myself little clues as to what was going on in each chapter, trusting to my memory to fill in the details I was looking for. Bad idea. My memory sucks. When I took notes on Dracula, I got pretty detailed because I had no idea what my teacher was going to think was important and what was superfluous. That ended up being incredibly helpful. I was able to skim my notes and find the exact point of the story I was thinking of within moments of needing the information. It's taking a little time to re-plot my 17 chapters, but I think it will be worth it. When it comes to plotting new, unwritten ideas, less may turn out to be more until the editing begins. We'll see.

In the mean time, I feel really good about how things are going. I don't know if I'll meet my stated goals this challenge, but if I can at least get some new material out this month and write every day, I'll still feel happy with my progress.

On the horizon: spring semester starts up next week. I have one Internet class and one on-campus class. If this semester resembles last semester in any way, it's going to be hell. But bring it on. I'm up to it.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome on meeting your goals! School can be tough but I agree with your post, it does help writing. It makes for an interesting life balancing school and writing. It's only bad when the muse strikes in the middle of a rather boring class. I'm guilty of writing during classes. (Unless my mom is reading this comment . . . then I always pay attention in class . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jessica. It's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling to balance writing with school. It's definitely tough sometimes. But I'm not willing to give up on either, so I have to find a way to work it out.

    Fortunately, I've pretty much enjoyed all my classes so far. I tend to be interested in EVERYTHING though, which is actually a bit of a problem. There just isn't enough time to do/learn all the things I want to. Plus it's all potential food for writing. It's a good thing for me that I had my family before I got really into school. Otherwise I'd never be able to tear myself away from the university long enough to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete