Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Let's get personal

Okay, my long-time friend, and one of my favorite people ever requested that I post 7 things about myself. And since I'd do just about anything for Kristi Marie (I know her as Kristi, but she goes by Marie now. Go figure), here they are:
1. I had a crush on Harrison Ford when I was growing up. He was taken, so I married Robert Ford instead (Robert Ford killed Jesse James. Don't tell the authorities where we are, please).


2. I can't remember most of my life before I was twelve years old. That makes all those writing exercises, where you're supposed to close your eyes and think back on a childhood memory, pretty much impossible for me. But I can remember this:


3. I won't believe you when you tell me that the reward for being a parent is being a grandparent. Parenting sucks most of the time (they tell me it's worth it in the end- we'll see about that) and I just can't see how it could get SO much better one generation removed. Maybe I need my eyes checked again.


4. I'm now sitting here, worrying that everyone who reads the above confession will think that I'm a horrible person because I can't gush on and on about what a joy motherhood is. And I do worry about things like that. A lot. But I've also learned to tell that worry-voice to get over herself and put a lid on it. I'm not nearly important enough for people to spend that kind of energy on my silly comments. My worried face looks something like this:


5. I always secretly wished I was the kind of studious person who speaks a ridiculous number of languages and knows a lot about everything- you know, the kind of person you find on Jeopardy. In reality, I may be that smart (maybe) but I'm far too lazy. I like studying and learning, but I'd rather be a Jack than a King in most areas.


6. I'm a dog person because I like that dogs can be trained to do pretty much whatever you tell them. And I'm a cat person because I'm more like a cat. Seriously, don't tell me what to do. Don't touch me. Okay, now you can touch me, but only if you give me food afterword. Meow.
(This dog looks like my dog and this cat looks like my cat. My dog does this to my cat all the time and my cat really doesn't care.)


7. (Suggested by the infamous Robert Ford) When I turned 17, I got a life-sized cardboard cutout of Chewbacca because (wait for it....) I have an uncanny talent for wookie growls. grrrnnnnaaaaaawwwwllll!

1 comment:

  1. I could have swooorn I commented on this before but YAY! All these videos made me so happy. Especially the Sean Connery one. You are deserving of every award I could throw at you.

    ReplyDelete