Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Friday, April 8, 2011

So far, so good.

This week has gone fairly well. I got my interview done. I talked with my mom about her father's polio. It was interesting to say the least. I haven't done much of the digging I need to to find appropriate historical accounts of the polio epidemic. But that project is not my top priority. I have a little extra time before I have to worry about it. And why put off till tomorrow what can be put off till the day after tomorrow, right?

So the dreaded poetry project has been my main focus this week. I got my poems picked out, my topic chosen, and a rough outline written up. I've even started writing out my first draft. I found some potential reference material, but I still need to read through most of it and see what I can actually use. But I had to include at least one book (as opposed to journals or other electronic references), which I did last night. And I must say, our readings and class discussions have moved on to dramas. It helps immensely that I get a break from poetry at least part of the time. And it helps that I actually enjoy plays and such.

This weekend and early next week, I need to select quotes from my reference materials, finish writing my draft, and get my bibliography in order. We'll do revisions in class on Tuesday, so the deadline is definitely motivating. I sure wish I had a writing group or something to give me deadlines and accountability for my fiction.

Happy writing to the rest of you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment