Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

This week is NOT a bust... yet.

But it could be soon if I don't get off my hind-end and do something with my manuscript. So far this week, I haven't touched it. I'm facing a couple of barriers:
1. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with family, home, and school work. I tell myself spring break is coming up and that I'll have more freedom to revise then. But the truth is I'll have kids out of school, a husband off of work (for a couple days, anyway), family in town (but not staying with me), and some school projects that need some attention. So if I'm honest with myself, I'm still going to need to force myself into setting aside some time for writing.
2. I'm stuck on the issue I'm working on. I've got all these notes of things I need to change and this one is kind of a biggie, involving writing new characters, minor sub-plots, etc. And to be honest, I'm not sure the idea would add all that much to the story over all, but I won't know for sure until I've tried it. So maybe I need to just step away from this "fix" for a bit and work on some of the lesser problems. Then readdress this issue when I either feel up to it, or have nothing else left to work on.

And although I have a test to study for and will have extras kids around today, I hereby commit to spending time with The Slave Knight today. How much time? Uh... how 'bout... 10 minutes. It's doable, but can easily turn into 15, or 20 or even more!

How is your work-in-progress going? And what barriers are you faced with this week?

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! I know just how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My WIP is currently sitting at 79K words, I only have one more stinkin' chapter to write to have a completed MS, and yet--nothing. It's been like that for a few weeks now. It's just life. I have to do life.

    BUT, I've decided I have to set a goal. Even if it's just a tiny one (like you've set. Ten minutes). I need to do it. Okay, so here's my goal. I'm posting it here, just for you. You're the first to hear it. I WILL complete this first draft of this MS by April 1st. I'm gonna do it. I go to Hawaii April 1st for 10 days and so this will be my reward--to go on vacation without feeling horrible for not writing.

    I will do it ;)

    Oh, I just noticed you did NaNoWriMo too! (My current WIP is from this years win. I'm continuing it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome aboard, Angela! Good luck on your last chapter! It's definitely doable by the end of the month and it will give you such a great feeling as you head off over the Pacific. I hope the weather stays good for your trip. I went to Maui this time of year a while back and it rained nearly the whole time. But there's no rain like Hawaii's rain. It was an amazing experience.

    And for the record, I did meet my commitment. I ended up doing 25 minutes of editing, despite my laptop getting a virus and being out of commission that day (she's all fixed now, thanks to my wonderful, nerdy husband :-) It's nice to accomplish something, even if it doesn't seem like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked hard to get everything done last week -- a ms. off to my editor and one to my agent -- so that I could enjoy spring break with my boys. Bliss!

    ReplyDelete