Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Friday, February 25, 2011

Oh... the mistakes we make...

Last night I did a dumb thing and I just now realized it. Sigh...

I'm sure all you writers know the importance of having a backup of your MS saved somewhere. I have three copies of mine that I play with. One is on my hard drive. One is on my laptop desktop. The other is on my flash drive that goes to and from school with me. If I know I'm going to have time to write after class, I save my latest version on there and I'm all set.

I didn't put my most up-to-date version on the flash drive last night because I didn't think I would have time to write. But then I did have time to write. I just figured I'd merge the files later. No big deal. So far, so good. I edited a few pages before I had to leave and just before bed I merged the files and backed it all up in all three places.

Here's the part where I was stupid: The file I had open, and had been working on, was the one from my desktop. I saved and closed it so I could merge the files easier. But then, out of habit, I merged with my hard drive file that I haven't touched for a while. Still not a big deal, until I saved (not merged) it all over my desk top file- which had the last couple weeks worth of edits on it.
Sigh...

So much editing that now needs to be redone. I could cry. But instead, I'll just blog a bit.

Lesson learned: pay attention to what you're doing, even if you've done it a million times before. And when you merge two files, merge all three.

Not a monumental mistake, but still irritating. I was 30 pages away from being finished with my initial mark up. Now It's more like 50-60. I was hoping to be done by the end of the month. Still possible, but a lot less probable now.

(dejectedly) I supposed I'd better get back to work now...

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm happy to meet a fellow writer. I'm working toward my million words and, like you, I've made similar goof-ups, like the one you mentioned above. It makes you want to cry. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, hello, Catherine! It's lovely to meet you, too. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy it here.

    And as of about an hour ago, I am not only done playing catch-up, I'm done with my initial mark-ups. More on that later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt for you so very much when you told me this. It's happened to me also. Perhaps, under different circumstances but all quite similiar. I have cried over many lost words including ones I lost either on a computer or in my mind. This is a tough part about writing. I need to rely more on writing ideas with pen & ink instead of thinking I always have to type everything.
    I hope you'll be able to 'edit' this all out eventually *sigh*. More <(hugs)> too!

    ReplyDelete