Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Monday, January 10, 2011

To speed read or not to speed read?

Alright, so I can't actually speed read. But I've gone back and forth on whether or not I should bother trying to learn it or not. Part of me figures, Sure why not? It could come in handy and if you want to slow down sometimes you certainly can. Then another part of me, the part that knows me the best, figures  You know you'll never be able to stop sub vocalizing. You just love that voice in your head way too much to ever be able to successfully be a speed reader. The writer in me tends to agree with the second part of me. I find that little sub vocalizer in my head invaluable in choosing words, in finding the right flow and in capturing the right tone. And I'm not just talking about writing dialogue here.
So I wondered if other writers feel the same about the little voice in their heads. How do you feel about your sub vocalizer? Is it helpful to you as you write? Do you speed read? When? And how often?

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely a chronic speed reader (although my speed reading is a snail's pace nowadays). That little voice in my head slows me down...but I have to admit, if I come across a particularly delicious passage, I'll let the sub-voice in for a paragraph or two. Just to savor it...

    ReplyDelete