Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Friday, December 3, 2010

So much for taking a break...

You know that pain in the neck you get while you sleep, from having a pillow too full or too soft? Yeah, it's kind of like that. It made sense to me that I would dream about my main character while I was writing my story. I spent so much time thinking about him during the day that it seemed inevitable. But now that November is over and my story is complete, I thought I'd take a little break from it so that when I come back to it, I can see it with fresh eyes.
Then, for the last three nights, though I haven't been giving The Slave Knight much thought during the day, Jhampo has been there in my dreams. Well, it's not so much my dreams as that in-between place. I roll over and my thoughts shift, too. Every time, he's there; just staring at me. He's saying, "Hey, I'm still here. Don't forget about me. We aren't finished yet." So I guess that means I'd better get back to work or I'll never get any sleep.

5 comments:

  1. Funny. I love those characters that just won't leave you alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. usually I am that character that keeps her from sleeping

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I think this sounds pretty cool. I wonder if it will happen to me because I don't dream so much or at least I don't remember my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of having a character invade our subconscious like that! It's another one of those creepy awesome perks that come with being a writer. Oh and WHY HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS BLOG?? Stalker count: plus one. LOVES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, well, well, Mrs. Criddle! It's about time you joined the party...
    Actually, this is a relatively new development. I started this blog just a couple months ago. But I'm glad to see you!

    ReplyDelete