Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Reaching 50K, so bittersweet

I reached 50,000 words on the 17th. It was awesome! And then the momentum kind of just died. That's the problem with word count goals. When you reach the goal, it becomes that much harder to continue. I've never really experienced that before because I've never hit 50K this early in the game before. My story is still no where near done, and I should reach 60K today, if I'm only half as lazy with my writing as I feel.

Most nanoers will write to 50K, get their beautiful purple bar and then stop. But 50,000 words is only half of the nano goal, and not even the most important half. The real point of November is write a book from beginning to end.

Is it going to be a complete book? Probably not. There will be holes in it. Glaring imperfections will abound. Characters will be flat. But the essence will be there. The main players will be present. The places and events will all have their spots reserved, even if they aren't sitting down yet. You will even have developed a strong sense of style and tone. But there will a lot to do in the rewrite.

Something that surprises me every year is that when you're struggling and you're sure that everything you're spouting is refuse in its purest form, something happens in your brain. This breakthrough occurs that reassures you of your own genius. And then when you go back and read all those words you wrote and then staunchly ignored, you realize there was a lot less refuse there than you thought. Good to know. And maybe that rewrite won't be so bad after all.

The lessons I'm learning this year are so much different and in many ways so much bigger than any NaNoWriMo I've done before. And I think it has much to do with the fact that my productivity is so much greater than ever before. I'm struggling to stay motivated right now, but this is still shaping up to be my best Nanoing experience ever.

So now that I've got 50K under my belt, I need a new goal to keep me motivated. I'm hoping for 3000 words a day. Thirty days of that would give me 90K (this is really just to keep me pecking away at it). So to keep my average up, I have to do 4 or 5 thousand some days. But I'm finding ways to get it done. Go ME!! I am a champion writer! I can do this! I can reach The End in the next 10 days (gulp. I only have 10 days left?)! And so can you, my fellow Nanoers! We were all born to write. It is what we do. That's why we're writers. Now go WRITE!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the breakthrough that happens in your brain because I felt that way even though I didn't write nearly as much. I'm so happy to hear how well you've done and I should have been a better to encourage you as you have been to me. It means a lot!

    ReplyDelete