Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NaNoWriMo, week 2 and the half-way point

Sounds like the title to a juvenile novel- Week Two and the Half-Way Point (you know Name-of-Main-Character and the Vague-Description-of-the-Plot).
Nevermind.
Week two has been great. In general, NaNoWriMo's week two is hell week. It's the point when you decide you have no talent at all. Your ideas stink, and your writing is mediocre at best. You're sick of your main character already and you just want to call it quits, or maybe scrap the whole thing and start over. If you can make it through week two, you've gone so much more than half-way.
For me, this year, week two has been a bit of a roller coaster. There were days when I felt the normal week two blues, but pushed through my word count and beyond to the next point in the story that I felt excited about. Other days, I was just on fire and everything I did was magical. I even discovered the title of my book in week two. So I have to say that in five years of WriMo-ing, this the best week two ever!!
Here what it looked like in a nutshell:
11/8- 3000 words
11/9- 3126 words
11/10-3370 words
11/11- 4509 words
11/12- 2951 words
11/13- 3071 words
11/14- 2039 words
11/15- 4277 words
8 day total- 26343
grand total word count at half-way point- 44391.
That's right, I have less than 6000 words until 50K.
Unfortunately, I'm not quite to my half-way point in the story. So I'll need to step it up a bit if I'm going to reach The End by 11/30. And with Thanksgiving on the horizon, I need to focus now more than ever. I've noticed my really BIG output days were the ones when I left my house to write. Maybe I'll have to do some more of that. Before I go, I've written out a synopsis of my story. Some of this is a projection of what I plan to write. It may change over the course of the next couple of weeks. But here you go:

The Slave Knight by Robin Ford

This Jhampo's story. He was banished from his home and sent across the sea to try and make a new life for himself. The first friend he makes betrays him and he soon finds himself in slave's chains. Though he is guarded day and night, he finds an unexpected friend that helps him fit into this hard life without losing his humanity. When the opportunity arises, he is able to escape and help another along the way as well.
When he loses what is most valuable to him to a slaver, he wages war against all slavers. The practice of slavery begins to decline when his destiny takes him in another direction. The King's daughter is being held for ransom and Jhampo has the chance to save her. This deed earns him a knighthood and widespread fame.
But none of this is as great a reward as the one the princess gives herself: her love. Is a title and popular admiration enough to allow a princess and a former slave a lifetime of love and happiness together? The two learn together that love really can overcome anything. But when his past comes back to haunt him, his happiness is stripped away again.
His fame has traveled across the sea to the land of his birth and his banishment is lifted. Now he must choose between the lost home he has been dreaming of for years and the place of his ruined hopes, where he desires only to rebuild again.

No comments:

Post a Comment