Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday, October 14, 2010

what an odd little motivator

Today I got 291 words. Plus, I had to rewrite about 40 words that didn't get saved the last time I hit save before closing word.Grr. Not a big deal, really. But still... grr.
This challenge of writing every day is a new one for me. But I like it. It's been really good for me. And having a reasonable word count goal gives me something to aim for everyday without having to sacrifice much of my everyday demands. But since my writing goals are for each new day and not just the month's total, I needed a way to quickly figure out where I am in my word count at any given moment.
It's a silly little thing, but I decided to put a sticky note next to my mouse and write down my starting word count in one column and the count I need to end at in the next column. My total words for the day get recorded here, too.
For instance, today's line looks like this:
10/14- 65834 --> 66084      291
Easy. As silly as it seems, it really motivates me to reach that number. And when I go past it, I feel kind of like a rock star.

What little tricks motivate you to keep on tapping the keyboard?

1 comment:

  1. I like using the marathon spreadsheet. True, the group who developed it did it for NaNo, but it's versatile enough to use with all writing projects.

    ReplyDelete