Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Friday, October 8, 2010

ten/eight. today was great

I added 1066 words to my manuscript today.
I wrote around 500 words outlining a school paper.
But most importantly, I made some decisions during my walk around the neighborhood about the sequel that will make the scene I'm writing now go a lot more smoothly. Sometimes it's great to have no idea where you're going with the story. It's a magical journey of discovery with surprises around every corner. But when you hit a brick wall, it helps to have a map.
For me, it also helps to walk. My mind is completely unrestrained when I'm out walking. I can't concentrate on any one thing, even when I try. But that's usually the key to that breakthrough that's been eluding me.
Others have their best ideas on the porcelain throne, in the shower, or playing squash.

Where do you do your best thinking?

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I like the walking idea. I usually do my best thinking when I'm trying to fall asleep, which is kind of weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not weird at all, actually. Many creative people get their best ideas before bed or even in the middle of the night. So you're keeping good company. The right side of your brain is primarily responsible for both creativity and dreaming, so it makes perfect sense. I hope you keep a notebook and pen on your nightstand!

    ReplyDelete