Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday, October 7, 2010

the dead weight character

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, and I'm still not sure what to do about it. I have a character who isn't pulling her weight. Her name is Sasha- which I will probably change because I don't like it and because it's too close to another character's name. She is the Queen. But more to the point, she's the wife of the King. She serves a couple of major purposes, but then doesn't do anything. Her personality is getting on my nerves, the sanctimonious ninny. And she's conveniently put herself in a situation where she may be executed or she may be pardoned.
Right now, the plan is to pardon her. That's in keeping with the king's character, and I'm afraid of what it would do to him if he executed his beloved wife. On the other hand, I'm not enjoying writing her and I don't see a future for her in the story. The way I see it, she either needs to go entirely or she needs to undergo some major changes. The question then becomes will she change for the better or for the worse? Between you and me, I think she's losing her mind. So it would probably have to be for the worse. Unless she can prove to me soon that she's capable of being interesting again, she's going to lose her mind and her head.

No comments:

Post a Comment