Writing Quote

"Don't write merely to be understood.
Write so that you can't possibly be misunderstood."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

10/6 wordcount and shadow friends

I added 346 words to my work of fiction. I also did some prewriting for a school paper, which I should be working on now, but for some reason, I'm blogging instead. Then I wrote a hefty paragraph or two on a class discussion board. None of that gets my story written, but oh well.

Today, I've been feeling a little bit lonely in the world of words. I have lots of real life friends and a wonderful family. But I don't know many writers. Of the all people I know and love, I can count on one hand the number of writers I get to rub shoulders with. I haven't taken any writing classes yet. I've never been to a convention or conference where I could network with like minded crazies. I don't have a writing group. And I've only ever been to one NaNoWriMo write-in, where I sat in the corner and played shy. And since one blog always leads to another (much like books, oddly enough) I started at a writer-friend's blog and haunted a few other writer's blogs. I "followed" a couple that seemed to have some things in common with me. And here, I have to note that I did so publicly. I always, always follow blogs publicly. I think my e-friends have a right to know I'm there, attending to their thoughts, even if we don't know each other in the flesh. But it made me wonder if there are any other people in the world- besides my supportive husband and my too-good-to-be-true friend, Julie- who follow my little writing blog. If so, I invite you to come out and join us, shadow friends. You're welcome here, even if we've never met under the yellow sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment